Skip to main content

Allotments Frequently Asked Questions

The following information is for allotments deposited in U.S. banks only, for information on allotments to foreign banks see the Foreign Allotments FAQs.

Our FAQs provide information on frequent questions or concerns. If you have questions about specific topics not included here, please contact us

For Savings Allotments (allotments to a financial institution), use Standard Form 1199A, Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form to initiate an allotment deduction. Use the same form to change the designation of the financial institution authorized to receive an allotment from your salary through electronic fund transfer. Also, use the same form to cancel your allotment deduction. The form is available from your timekeeper, payroll coordinator, or personnel office.

To initiate or change your allotment, fill out Section 1 of the form and take it to your financial institution for completion of Sections 2 and 3. To cancel your allotment, fill out Section 1, Items A, C, D, E, and insert the word, "CANCEL" in the "Amount" block of Item G. For all actions, sign the completed form and return it to your timekeeper, payroll coordinator, or personnel office for processing.

You can validate the allotment by reviewing your Leave and Earnings Statement. Under "DEDUCTIONS," "SAVINGS ALLOT" the amount deducted for the pay period will be displayed. You can also contact your financial institution on payday to confirm that they have received your allotment.

You may also use Employee Express to initiate, change, or cancel your allotment. For more information, please check out Employee Express section.

Each employee can have a maximum of sixteen savings allotment deductions.

This is a Discretionary Allotment. An employee may have four discretionary allotments. You can use these to make payments to anyone for any reason. You need to provide the effective date, deduction frequency, amount, disbursement frequency, and the recipient name and address or financial institution designated to receive the EFT payment. All savings allotments must be in whole dollars; discretionary allotments do not have to be in whole dollar amounts.

Contact your Personnel Office or Payroll Coordinator for information on how to initiate, change, or cancel a discretionary allotment. Review your Leave and Earnings Statement under "DEDUCTIONS" "DISCRET ALLOT" for the amount deducted.

Additional information on allotments can be found in the Client Interface Guide

What is it?

Employees can elect to have a savings and/or discretionary allotment deposited into a foreign bank in a foreign currency. These payments are dispersed by the International Treasury System (ITS).

Who can use it?

This applies to U.S. employees only.

Are there any transaction fees for this service?

No. This service is free.

What is the exchange rate?

Dollars are exchanged for local currency using the current Department of the Treasury rate of exchange at the time of the deposit. This is the best possible rate available. Please note that due to currency fluctuations the amount that's deposited each pay period will vary with the exchange rate, so although the amount deducted from your paycheck is a fixed amount in U.S. dollars, the amount actually deposited in your account in Euros, Pound Sterling, Dinar, or Pesos will go up and down.

When will the funds appear in my foreign account?

All payments are deposited on the official pay date (2nd Tuesday following the end of the pay period). The ITS payments are only made during the bi-weekly cycle. No paid dailies (off cycle payments) are made to foreign banks.

Is there any limit to the allotment amount?

The only limit is the net amount of your biweekly paycheck, that is, you can't convert more money than you would otherwise normally receive after deductions.

How will this appear on my Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)?

It will appear on your LES as a savings allotment or discretionary allotment.

How do I start, stop, or change an allotment?

Employees should contact their Servicing Personnel Office to start, stop, or change a foreign allotment. These actions are not currently available through Employee Express.

Is there anything else I need to know about my foreign bank account?

Yes. You may be required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if the aggregate value of your foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. See the IRS website for more details.

Send us your suggestion

Please Note: If there is a question you hear often and you think it may be of general interest to other users of this site, we would appreciate hearing from you.

Send us your suggestion


Last Updated: