In accordance with FIPS PUB 201-2 Personal Identification Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors, the PIV Card/Credential is designed to enhance security, reduce identity fraud, and protect personal privacy by establishing a mandatory, Government-wide standard for secure and reliable forms of identification issued by the Federal Government to its employees, contractors, and "other" class of individuals. The Department of the Interior began implementing this program department wide on October 27, 2005.
Along with this process are the following requirements:
All personnel issued a PIV Card/Credential must have a favorably adjudicated background investigation, including an FBI fingerprint check.
All personnel must be "identity-proofed," that is, they must present two (2) forms of acceptable identification at their enrollment appointment.
- PIV Card Enrollment/Re-enrollment
- PIV Card Renewal (PIV Card Expiration)
- PIV Card Certificate Update
- Lost, Stolen or Damaged PIV Card
- Mandates and Policies
- DOI information about HSPD-12
- Exit Clearance/Access Change Process - (Please follow your Bureau/Agency Exit Clearance Process)